Monday 12 December 2011

Sussex Inlaid Slip


I was in the Hastings Museum with my boys last weekend and managed a minute or two amongst the pots. They have a decent collection of Slipware and due to our location there's lots of Sussex pottery with its inlaid slip decoration. Very beautiful. For the non-potters out there, you press the printers type into the damp clay and the fill the impressions with the white slip coating (obviously it doesn't have to be just printers type, you could even carve a design into the clay surface). You then scrape back the surface slip, so that it only remains in the impressed letters. I think it's about time i followed my local tradition and tried one out and updated the designs for 2011. Not sure what to do yet, but the bottle/flask based on the leather one might be a good place to start. I need to ask a couple of friends if they have suitable printers type i can borrow for the job. It's hard to find much info on these pots out there on the net... or I'm looking in the wrong place! We'll just have to see where it leads me. Anyway, here are a few pictures and if you live in Hastings or nearby, i suggest a visit to the Museum and reconnect with your town and it's history... it's a lovely little place to spend an hour.





1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to try the inlaid slip but never have just inlaid think pieces of contrasting clay, one of these days, great examples here.

    ReplyDelete